Tuesday, February 18, 2014

2/10 - 2/16 Week 5

Monday started off normal with class, and then for my Art course we got to visit the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. I visited the National Portrait gallery last week at Trafalgar, but I still hadn't been into the main gallery itself! Of course it was huge and beautiful inside, probably the biggest art museum I've been to yet. We even had the opportunity to see Van Gough's Sunflowers (both the London and Amsterdam painting). It was a little crazy to think I was standing in front of a Van Gough painting, although at the same time it just looked like any other work of art! In the gallery I got to see more impressionist paintings by Monet, Pissaro and Renoir. That night I worked on homework and booked another flight for spring break! We booked our London to Venice flight; which is funny because the one flight we need to start our spring break adventure was the last one we ended up booking.
Tuesday I had my internship and for my Modern Brit class I got to present my Zaha Hadid portrait presentation. That night was actually the movie premier for "Monuments Men" which some of my roommates and I wanted to attend (it had Matt Damon, George Cloony, Bill Murray, John Goodman and Cate Blanchett!) but we actually had a meeting for our trip to Paris next weekend. We decided not to go to the premier and go to the meeting, which turned out to be a complete waist. Our program leader just talked about everything she had already emailed us about and there really wasn't any new information. My friend Martha stopped by the premier for a few minutes and arrived to the meeting 10 min late, but in that short time she got to see George Clooney! Needless to say we were a bit bummed we didn't go, but we vowed to go to the next big premier!
Wednesday I interned and had my theatricality class. For about a week I kept bring up the idea of going to see a play and wanting to check out the buy-that-night ticket option. In Lester Square there are quite a few places were you can go and buy cheep tickets to shows that haven't sold out yet for a current night. I had no plans that night and was trying to text some of my roommates to see if anyone would be interested, but to no avail. I decided after class I would just pop over there and check it out. I stopped at one ticket booth and was waiting for some girls to finish buying their tickets in front of me when I overheard they were paying £60 for a ticket! That was definitely not in my price range, so I left. I was thinking of heading back home when I decided to keep waking around and check out Lester Square. After walking down a bit from the original ticket place, I found another booth that I recognized from looking up online earlier in the day. I decided to pop into there and see what their prices were. The plays I want to see are Wicked, Le Mis and Book of Mormon - there are quite a bit of people who want to see Le Mis and Book of Mormon together so I figured I wanted to see Wicked that night. Even though I've already see it (I actually saw it for the first time just a few months ago!) I knew I wanted to see it again while I was here. So when I asked if there were any Wicket tickets left for that night the guy told me there was one on the top balcony for only £18.50. I decided "why not" and booked it! I heard that when you go to a show during the beginning of the week, there is a chance that a lot of seats won't be sold, so if you buy a cheep/far back seat they end up moving you foreword. I decided to ask the teller if he though that would happen, or if there was a lot of tickets booked. I think he misunderstood me and though I was asking if there was any closer tickets I could get, so he got on the phone and called the venue and ended up getting me a floor seat for the same price! I was quite excited and didn't even care that I was going alone. I quickly stopped home, changed, ate a little something and went to see Wicked. The venue was beautiful and the whole outside of the building was lit up green with a huge Wicked sign. My seat inside was actually at the very end of the row but as far as my view went I could see everything. Overall, I actually believe I liked the Minneapolis performance better (I absolutely adored the actor who played Fiero and Elphaba was amazing) but it was funny to see all the characters with british accents and just to see the play again was worth it.

 
Old schooling it with the camera selfie - I think I lost my touch a bit after getting use to the iPhone... 

Thursday I had my long internship day and just hung out in the flat that night. Friday was my long internship day again, and I got to work with Molly (another CAPA intern working with me) for the full day. We usually don't get to work very long together, and she is so fun to be around I'm glad we kept each other company on Valentines day! We were actually pretty productive and worked on poster ideas as well as getting to talk to some patients on the ward. That night my roommates and I went to Stop Light party (Wear red if your taken, yellow to "try me" and green if your single) to celebrate our boyfriend-less Valentines day. Cover was free (because CAPA was giving out tickets) and the music was pretty good, but it seemed like the whole club was either CAPA students or international students! We're finding that its pretty hard to meet british guys at clubs, were thinking bars or pubs are our best bet now. I meet a new guy from CAPA and we ended up dancing for good part of the night which was fun, but no british guys!
Saturday Tara, Gracie, Amanda, Erin and I went to the Borough market. We had talked about going to this specific market for a while and I was very curious to see what kind of things would be there. It consisted of mainly artsy unique booths selling jewelry, vintage clothing, and other little knick knacks. But after walking down a little street (where I though it would end) it turns out it continued down 3 more main streets! It was huge and so much jewelry! I definitely want to go back and check out some booths again, maybe spend a longer time looking at the clothes too.
 
So much cool jewelry…. 

After the market we walked over to Kensington Palace where we did a self-guided tour of the place. It was really cool and definitely worth it - it provided a lot of history along with each room/artifact we were looking at which made it all the more interesting. There was 3 main "exhibits" that we go to see; "Victoria Revealed" which took us through Queen Victoria's life, Fashion Rules which talked about the fashion of Queen Elizabeth, Princess Margret and Princess Diana while displaying outfits that they had worn, and the King's State Apartments which took us through 18th century rooms that made up the apartments. I enjoyed all the exhibits; learning the most in "Victoria Revealed" while marveling at the beauty of some of the rooms in the King's Apartments. While in this ornate, beautiful and large ballroom with waltz music playing (with Gracie and I being the only ones in the room) we did what any two people would do. We put down our stuff and started waltzing together! I had to teach her the steps, but right when we walked into that room we both said "I feel like we should be dancing!". Overall, pretty cool to see and even crazier to think that Prince William, Kate and baby George live just a few rooms over. That night we came home and relaxed while trying to muster up some motivation to start our homework.
This was hanging in Kensington - I almost died because this is the most adorable-ist thing I've ever seen


Sunday… check out my BAFTA post!

No comments:

Post a Comment